In the solar plexus area (upper part of the belly, where your diaphragm rests); it is the third chakra from the bottom in the traditional system counting 7 chakras. It's color is Yellow (higher frequencies of this chakra can turn into golden yellow). The symbol for the solar plexus is a circle with 10 petals in which is inscribed a downward-pointing triangle. It's element is Fire. Additional elements used in modern energy healing practices are healing crystals and aromatherapy. If you’re curious, here’s a list of the most common ones:
The main meanings associated with the third chakra are:
- Will, personal power
- Taking responsibility for one’s life, taking control
- Mental abilities, the intellect
- Forming personal opinions and beliefs
- Making decisions, setting the direction
- Clarity of judgments
- Personal identity, personality
- Self-assurance, confidence
When the Solar Plexus chakra is open and the energy in this center is balanced, these functions naturally find a clear and effortless outlet. However, in case the flow of energy is disturbed, whether because the Manipura chakra is overactive or blocked, symptoms may range from energetic and emotional to physical.
Closely connected to the digestive system, especially the gastric and hypogastric plexi, its main function is to help transform matter into energy to fuel your body. It governs metabolism and is commonly associated with the pancreas.
The Chakra Symbol
- A circle with ten petals
- An downward-pointing triangle
The Solar Plexus chakra is associated with the following psychological and behavioral functions:
- Expression of will
- Intellectual abilities
- The “accounting mind” that categorizes everything, assesses the pluses and minuses in life
- Personal power
- Ability to establish ideas and plans into reality
- At higher levels, it conveys wisdom
Signs your Solar Plexus chakra may be out of balance:
On one side, a balanced solar plexus chakra makes it easy to find balance between your personal power and harmonious relationships with others; on the other side, an imbalanced third chakra could undermine your self-esteem and social life.
When the Solar Plexus chakra is balanced, you may:
- Be assertive
- Exert your will in a way that leads to the expected results somewhat effortlessly
- Have harmonious relationships with your surrounding
- Excessive control and authority over your environment and people
- Or the opposite in case of deficiency or blocked energy: Feeling of helplessness, irresponsibility
- Being obsessed with minute details, seeing life through a filter of plus and minuses while losing sight of the whole picture
- Being manipulative
- Misusing your power
- Lack of clear direction, lack of purpose or ambition
- Making plans or having a lot of ideas without finding efficient ways to realize them.
HOW TO OPEN THE SOLAR PLEXUS CHAKRA
The appropriate diet and nutrition helps to open the Solar Plexus Chakra or Manipura Chakra. Opening or balancing of the third chakra is possible with the appropriate healing diet and nutrition. Foods play a a great role in healing. Some of the foods which can be taken to open the Solar Plexus Chakra include the oats, lentils, golden apple, lemon, brown rice, pumpkins, sweet potatoes and corn.
Healing from the color yellow to open the third chakra. “yellow is the color of the third chakra.” It is suggested to wear yellow and your surroundings yellow so as to help you heal or open the blocked solar plexus chakra.
Healing stones aid in opening the Solar Plexus. Some of the most effective healing stones include yellow jasper, sunstone, amber, citrine, yellow topaz and golden calcite.
It is also known that essential oils like the oils from ginger, cinnamon, lemon, clove and black pepper are very effective in opening the Solar Plexus.
Repeating powerful affirmations to yourself everyday will also help to unblock the Solar Plexus. You can say the affirmation anytime throughout the day for as many times as you want. Here is an affirmation for you:
I love and accept myself the way I am
I trust my power
I deserve to be loved
I respect myself
I am capable to achieve my goals
I can do it!
Sound therapy can also help to open the Solar Plexus. The Solar Plexus is known to vibrate to the sound “E”. Chanting RA in “E” will aid you in balancing the third chakra.
Fire is the element for the Soar Plexus. Taking a walk in the sun during day time or sitting in front of a camp fire can help to unblock and balance the third chakra.
Meditation is the most effective way to open the blocked Solar Plexus. You have to close your eyes and imagine a yellow colored flower opening in the navel. You can also imagine a yellow burning flame or a glowing ball while meditating.